Already in former times, an inn named "Hirsch" existed in the town of Füssen. The property was located at the address "Drehergasse 44" next to the "Tamburmetzger" butchery. According to the tax register of 1767, The property was owned by a certain Magnus Bohler, a resident of Füssen, who was reportedly the son of Antoni Bohler, nicknamed “Preu” (brewer). The property of the ancient "Hirsch" tavern consisted of a main building of three floors, an annex in the backyard and a large barn outside the town walls, including a shed, stables for 12 horses and rooms for the groom, coacher and maids. Today, the premises house a women’s clothing boutique and a hairdressing salon.
The building of the ancient "Hirsch" Inn featured the "Hirschwirtsturm" tower (formerly called "Seilerturm"), a 700 year old town tower. In its attic there was a drying room for the hop. The beer brewed in the house was stored in the cellar, called "Sommerkeller", beyond the town moat. The cellar vaults dug deep under ground, having a length of 8 metres and a height of 4.50 metres, were topped with another barn surrounded by chestnut trees. Around 1900, this was still a marvellous beer garden, named "Hirschgarten", close to the town centre, which was much-appreciated by the residents of Füssen.
Expansion of Tourism
Given the rapidly growing flow of tourists, who came to visit "Neuschwanstein" Castle, which had been open to the public since the death of King Ludwig II, the "Aktienbrauerei Kempten" brewery seized the opportunity to build a new house to satisfy the demand for a more luxurious accommodation. Since ordinary visitors usually arrived by train at that time, they could already see the splendid west-facing facade of the new building with its oriels and turrets when they got off the train at the railway station.
"We have anticipated history!"
The architect Rudolf Leinweber from Munich, who had moved to Füssen after having been called upon to manage a project at Hohenschwangau, was charged with the planning of the new building. For the construction project was intended to rival with the architectural splendour of Hohenschwangau.
A section of the beer garden with the chestnut trees had to be sacrificed to the construction and the wooden barn above the beer cellar had to be dismantled. Given its historic value, it was however reconstructed at the "Ziegelberg" as shooting range of the rifle club. The extremely deep-lying beer cellar was preserved, even though the foundations of the new building had to be laid across it. Until 1954, it was used as wine and beer cellar. Yet, when "Sebastianstraße" street was enlarged and extended across the river "Lech" becoming a main road, the cellar had to be filled with gravel.
The construction of the new building with its magnificent "Art Nouveau" style facade, oriel windows, turrets and wind flags was completed in 1904. At that time, the rooms were already heated by a steam-heating system and on every floor there was - what a luxury - a water-closet and a bath. While the restaurant rooms on the ground floor were equipped with gas lighting, all the guest rooms had electric lighting.
Josef Schneider, who had gained international experience at the "Waldorf Astoria" at New York, became the first manager of the house, which was then still classified as an "inn". In 1911, Mr Schneider acquired the "Hirsch" Hotel from the "Aktienbrauerei" brewery and in 1916, he married the widow Sophie Bletschacher the manager of the renowned "Bamberger Hof" Hotel in Munich. She moved to Füssen with her two sons Fritz and Max.
Famous Guests of the Hirsch Hotel
Famous people from film, politics and art from Germany and all across the world have already stayed at the "Hirsch" Hotel.
Charles Bronson, Gina Lollobrigida, Steve McQueen, Otto von Habsburg, Theodor Heuss, Luis Trenker, Will Quadflieg, Sepp Herberger and Ruth Leuwerik are only a few examples of celebrities our hotel has welcomed.